sly like Sly Stone.

Lil' Miss Pish obviously knows herself well enough to know that clearly vegetables are not among foods of interest.

I chop them little, leave them larger so she can feed her self with fingers, serve them of medium size, perfect for her newly acquired forking techniques.  Kid's like Fort Knox.  Can't get anything by her.

Which is very frustrating, because as an adult who prefers carbs over anything else, I'd like to start my child's eating habits off in a more balanced way.  I'm still weird about fruits and veggies.  I make myself eat them, and cook them in ways I know I'll like them, but raw?  If the consistency or texture is not spot on, I can't eat it.  I find, consequently, I like fruit the first day or two it's in my home but after that, I won't go near it and then it's a waste.  My system now is as follows, eat what I can, and then chop up and freeze the rest when they're no longer suitable to my palette.

You want your kids to be better than you are- that includes herbivorian (yup, I just made that up) behavior.  With that being said, I'm not up for battle every lunch or dinner time, so I have to get a lil sneaky and plan my course of attack.

So why am I sly like Sly Stone (better yet, Keith Stone)?  Because when you put veggies and your fresh frozen fruits into a smoothie and blend them with greek yogurt and baby food sweet potatoes you get a whole meal that tastes like a treat.  Plus when you put it in a big girl cup with a straw, kid can't say no.  AND left overs make a great popsicle if you have those DIY freeze pop things.  Kids get their goods and I didn't waste any more fruit.

Any blender will do, but if you have the magic bullet it's perfect.  I always make way more than necessary in a regular blender, but the bullet keeps my portions rational.  Not feeding a brood here, just one sassy nugget.

This can vary depending on what you have in the fridge, but here's what I generally do:

-banana (1/2 if I have a lot of other fruits)
-big, generous handful of raw spinach
-a little vanilla rice milk for sweetness, regular milk will do
-frozen strawberries and frozen cherries (they were fresh, but then I pitted, chopped them and froze them separately in sandwich baggies)
-Yogurt (baby, adult, or greek work)
-And if Vienna's been carb loading lately, I'll throw in a babyfood sweet potatoes container to really get her good. ;)


The baby's happy and you feel like parent of the year.  Everybody wins.

Comments

Popular Posts